Gareth Porter explains the latest lie being used to promote a war with Iran. This time, the old story from the mid-2000s that Iran was responsible for a certain type of roadside bomb that killed about 600 U.S. soldiers in Eastern Iraq has new life, thanks to John Bolton and his allies. Gareth Porter and many other friends of the Scott Horton Show debunked this idea when it first arose more than ten years ago. An extra bit of irony is the recent Army study finding that Iran is the only country that actually benefited from America’s wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Discussed on the show:
- “Lies About Iran Killing US Troops in Iraq Are a Ploy to Justify War” (Antiwar.com Original)
- “POLITICS: U.S. Military Ignored Evidence of Iraqi-Made EFPs” (Inter Press Service)
- “The Truth About Iraqi EFPs by Philip Giraldi” (The Scott Horton Show)
- “ERROR: The request could not be satisfied” (LA Times)
- “Iraq’s Superbombs, Still Home Made” (WIRED)
- “Chlorine Gas Attack by Truck Bomber Kills Up to 30 in Iraq” (The New York Times)
- “U.S. Find Stokes Fears Of Iraqis’ Bomb-Making Ability” (WSJ)
- The Good Soldiers
- “Army’s long-awaited Iraq war study finds Iran was the only winner in a conflict that holds many lessons for future wars” (Army Times)
- Pentagon Papers
- “The Redirection” (The New Yorker)
Gareth Porter is an investigative historian and journalist on the national security state, and author of Manufactured Crisis: The Untold Story of the Iran Nuclear Scare. Follow him on Twitter @GarethPorter and listen to Gareth’s previous appearances on the Scott Horton Show.
This episode of the Scott Horton Show is sponsored by: Kesslyn Runs, by Charles Featherstone; NoDev NoOps NoIT, by Hussein Badakhchani; The War State, by Mike Swanson; WallStreetWindow.com; Tom Woods’ Liberty Classroom; ExpandDesigns.com/Scott; and LibertyStickers.com.
Donate to the show through Patreon, PayPal, or Bitcoin: 1Ct2FmcGrAGX56RnDtN9HncYghXfvF2GAh.
Scott Horton is director of the Libertarian Institute, editorial director of Antiwar.com, host of Antiwar Radio on Pacifica, 90.7 FM KPFK in Los Angeles, California and podcasts the Scott Horton Show from this website. He’s the author of the 2017 book, Fool’s Errand: Time to End the War in Afghanistan. Visit https://scotthorton.org